Re: [WDL] shifting to blog
Anna wrote  - Quite to the contrary navigation, user-friendliness is a major argument when talking about 'social' software..the easier the better for attracting people's interest...this question is also linked to issues of access etc.

        Yvonne says – I’m in all favour of a blog. I prefer its user-friendliness and the fact that my inbox doesn’t have to be clogged. I’ve already switched to rss feeds of mailinglists where possible. I usually don’t have time to follow all discussions on various lists and it’s stressful to always lag behind.

And, thought develops slowlier than on a mailing list. Whenever I follow a thread, thoughts come to me much later and then the discussion is over... That’s why I started my own blog, because I wanted to follow a thought to its end.

Speaking of my own blog, which is actuallay a pre-writing, follow-through (narcissistic, solipsistic if you’d like) blog, the software I use is very easy to manage and the collective weblog allows for members to post, which is my primary dislike of the blog proposed – that is, that only certain members can start a thread. That’s not a community.

My second reservation for a blog is that members from countries where internet access is difficult, expensive and problematic will have problems to participate. It’s easy to forget for those of us who have broadband, but downloading emails doesn’t cost as much as reading and writing online. If we want a global community, we must realize that the world is not western Europe or the US.

Best
Yvonne
********** To alter your subscription settings, log on to Subscriber's Corner at http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/writing-and-the-digital-life.html To unsubscribe, email [log in to unmask] with a blank subject line and the following text in the body of the message: SIGNOFF WRITING-AND-THE-DIGITAL-LIFE