From: Jeremy Hunsinger
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: 7/21/2005 12:50 AM
Subject: Re: [WDL] shifting to a blog

The difference is in the mode of provision of and requirements of
access.  I agree with Jenny that blogs can provide email outlets and
that is interesting... but that generally does not include the
discussion, which is usually only threaded discussion.  the other
problem is that while it is fine to post things to  blogs from email
and many people do that... when you do that from multiple parties, if
you can imagine,the quotations, etc. all reposted to the blog.  a
blog contrarily is usually cleaner than that, and i suspect finding
that on the web in a blog format, instead of in a n email list format
that can be interacted with in bloglike means, is a substantive
difference.    The way we communicate vie email is post-response, it
forms a tree, that divides ad infinitum, and occasionally
recombines.   the way a blog discussion continues is via threads,
which branches, but the replies are to the previous part of the
thread.  the difference is between a frayed rope, where threads get
smaller and smaller, as compared to a rhyzomatic strawberry plant
where things get mixed and intertwined and the whole becomes itself
in a way that is different than the way the individual threads are
part of a rope.
On Jul 20, 2005, at 7:37 PM, beowolf2 wrote:

> To blog or not.....the little formality we have (which might not be
> a bad
> thing) would be lost...thought structure might change...would it
> provide for
> an increase or decrease in comments? I don't know and would
> probably not
> continue (which might represent an asset). Blogs seem to me to
> suggest a
> different sort of thing. In any case our medium of exchange would
> still be
> words in English. Don't see much difference.......
>
> Cheers, scott malby

jeremy hunsinger
www.cddc.vt.edu
jeremy.tmttlt.com