I am still missing the point here, and continue to do so. And for me this
is odd, since I'm working on a book with Sandy Baldwin dealing with the
phenomenological distinction between the analog and digital. However, on a
fundamentally cultural level, there are problems.

For example, I have no idea what the 'literary imagination' is. Whose?
What period? What time-frame? What culture?

Nor is there necessarily a pre-digital. The earliest examples of writing
might well be considered digital; as you know, they are tallies which
permit only of whole numbers, which led to the abacus - a digital machine
to any particular number base. The written characters of any language also
form a digital matrix of sorts; in an arbitary word one has (a-z)(a-z)...
in English - already a system. It's such a system that made the morse
code, and before that the semaphore, etc., an easy mapping.

And when you say 'radical reconceptualization in literature' - what
literature? Romance novels, early hypertext experiments, newsgroup
'strange attractors' like the monster truck neutopians and their writings?

I think the problem I have is that I don't think there _is_ digital life,
in any sense of the term except AI experiments (neural networked models of
cockroaches for example - I have one on my machine) (the model, not the
cockroach). There have always been new technologies, and new writing
technologies, and new archiving possibilties, and people like Polyani
worked well in describing the kinds of tacit knowledge employed in
adopting and adapting them. And just as we don't talk about electrical
life or gasoline life or wheat life, but life in relation to these, it
seems to me, the 'digital' doesn't imply 'digital life' but a phenomeno-
logical study of the interrelationships among humans and electronic
computers. Things get sidetracked, however, once this is admitted - the
fact there are such phenomenologies at work doesn't imply that the
'literary imagination' - whatever and however that is - changes as a
result. The best one can do is define carefully what the literary
imagination is (Mikel Dufrenne is good), i.e. the world of the work, and
see how this interacts in particular and culturally-specific situations,
ranging from Hopscotch and Tristam Shandy, through Bosewell's Johnson,
John Cayley, myself for that matter, mez, etc.

People of all periods, perhaps have felt _utterly transformed,_ and this
is a characteristic of people, not techne. (A good example: the book
Practical Radio, which outlines child radio hackers and their language/
boundary/culture - from 1924. It's no different than the current hacking
tradition; the attidues, generation and knowledge gaps, competition, agro,
etc. are identical.)

- Alan, not trying to step on anyone's toes here. -