> My understanding is that one of the selling points for DPM is that it
> allows pointers to files in the old SE to remain valid (so that sites
> don't have to maintain classic_SEs in perpetuity) - which rather
> undermines that assumption!

DPM only requires metadata operations to migrate data stored on the
classic SE into DPM (which has an SRM interface). The situation for dCache
is more complex, but I believe (can anyone confirm?) that a fix is
currently being worked upon to provide some sort of data migration tool
from the classic SE to dCache.

Greig

> Have I got this wrong? (_very_ possible!) Are we supposed to be thinking
> in terms of moving to an SRM SE rather than upgrading the current one
> (which DPM was supposed to allow)?
>
> Thanks
>
> Henry

Greig Cowan                          e: [log in to unmask]
School of Physics                    t: +44 131 650 5300
The University of Edinburgh          f: +44 131 650 7189
James Clerk Maxwell Building         w: http://www.ph.ed.ac.uk/~gcowan1
Mayfield Road
Edinburgh
EH9 3JZ, UK