On 2005 Jul 26 , at 00.41, Starlink Software wrote:

> Module: buildsupport
> Build URL: http://dev.starlink.ac.uk/build/RHEL-WS3-3_i386/logs/
> buildsupport.1122334390.log

My fault.  I imported automake-1.9.6, intending to merge this onto
the add-fpp-support branch, and thence onto the trunk.  I thought I
could work on this at some leisure.  However, according to the manual:

> Use the import command to create and update the vendor branch. When
> you import a new file, the vendor branch is made the `head'
> revision, so anyone that checks out a copy of the file gets that
> revision. When a local modification is committed it is placed on
> the main trunk, and made the `head' revision.

This seems crazy!  I import something, and it instantly becomes the
head revision, even though I know it won't work, because it hasn't
yet had the local patches applied, and consequent conflicts resolved.

It also means that I have no choice but to make sure that my patches
work with 1.9.6 -- I'd previously felt it was safe enough to jump to
1.9.6 because it wouldn't matter (I thought) if I couldn't get it to
work, as the newer version would just sit harmlessly on a branch.  No
such luck....

Bum.

This does mean that the builds are comprehensively broken until I can
get these conflicts resolved.  I'll try to do that today, but don't
anyone hold their breath....

Norman

Norman Gray  :  Physics & Astronomy, Glasgow University, UK
http://www.astro.gla.ac.uk/users/norman/  :  www.starlink.ac.uk