Some of the recent messages on this list concerning email retention policies reminded us of the importance of thinking about content when it comes to records retention rather than media. In other words, the retention policy for email messages should be driven by the content and context of the message and not the fact that the message was delivered by an electronic messaging system. The problem is that the communication method creates records – or at least data – where more old-fashioned communication methods might not have done i.e. an informal chat in the corridor or a phone call is now often replaced by an email. This got me thinking……

An “old-fashioned telephone call” does not usually create a record by default. It may be business practice to create some form of telephone report, and that becomes a record and is subject to one’s retention policy. However, the actual phone call itself is just a business transaction. But what about VOIP technology (Voice Over Internet Protocol)?

If a VOIP telephone system is used, it is quite possible that the phone call is captured automatically and at the very least, held as a temporary file on a server somewhere, but possibly held as an official VOIP record. These may currently not even be known about by the records manager and probably not known about by the record creator; they’re probably ‘managed’ by I.T. or the Telecomms Dept (if the organisation has one). I know that some Government departments and also private companies routinely record phone calls made and these records are often subject to the standard retention policy. But what about “non-recorded” phone calls that just happen to have been made via a VOIP system?

So, what do we do about records retention? It seems that many of the discussion threads that we’ve seen around emails are directly relevant to the retention of VOIP records. Retention should be based on content. But how do we decide when a chunk of data (a phone call) should become a company/organisation’s record?

Any thoughts from anyone on this somewhat philosophical topic??? Does anyone actually have a policy for VOIP records?

Best regards,

Eldin.

Mobile:   +44 (0)7940 859721

Tel:         +44 (0)845 6677887

Fax:        +44 (0)8707 623115

Email:     [log in to unmask]

               http://www.rammell.com

This electronic message, including its attachments, is COMPANY CONFIDENTIAL and may contain PROPRIETARY or LEGALLY PRIVILEGED information.  If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any use, disclosure, copying, or distribution of this message or any of the information included in it is unauthorized and strictly prohibited. The company uses ethical marketing practices and does not send out unsolicited emails (spam). Therefore,  if you believe you may have received this message in error, please immediately notify the sender by reply e-mail so that the matter may be investigated and permanently delete this message and its attachments, along with any copies thereof.  Thank you.

Rammell Consulting incorporated as Filetravel (7343) Ltd. Company Registration No. 5214878