Dear Brian/All,

Doug Douglas who is a teacher researcher at present en route to Brasil (!) with
a group of students from Bitterne School in Southampton picked up your
forwarded email asking for teachers to contribute - this is his contribution:

Q1 collect data. initial debrief of data. sleep on it. revisit, review
and adjust accordingly with perspective.
Q2a validity - requirement for sufficient evidence ie video, tape,
questionnaire, tick sheet, etc
Q2b rigour - practice, self-criticism and again the perspective that
time gives.
sorry it's not much
doug

Please do have a look at Doug's wonderful web-based snapshot of his research -
it's in the What's Going On? Bitterne Teacher Research link from the Home Page
http://www.TeacherResearch.net
I have already sent this list some teacher researcher webpages from Bitterne -
there are others in this section and details of school and our MA programme.

You will see that one of the ways we are trying to ensure rigour is in using
Critical Thinking Scaffolds - designed by my colleague Dr Steven Coombs - look
for the Professional Learning Task Accounts to assist teachers in tracking how
critical engagement in literature is informing their practice in classrooms.
The Bitterne teachers' webpages are in-process and not due for completion until
September but several eg Donna Chipping have already linked in PLTAs.

Kind regards
Sarah
PS The Bitterne section is a draft too and when time allows will be improved - I
have lots of video clips and stills to add into our account - coming soon!