Hi all

I have reflected on the very profound explanations of their spirituality
that Alan and Alon sent, and thanks for the sharing.  But it is Ram's
"spirituality without practice is meaningless and divisive' that rang
bells for me.  Briefly, my 'submission' is to notions of interaction
being more important than solitude.  I'm not expressing this well, but
what I want to say is that if I meditate alone, and develop my
spirituality/theology alone, I run the risk of going off track (though I
agree with Ram that meditation is important).  Rather, what helps me to
see whether I am 'practising' my claimed spirituality effectively and
sincerely is through my interaction with others - with students, with
peers, with friends, with family and with mentors.  They should, and do,
feel free to challenge me when my espoused theory differs from my theory
in use, whether it's pedagogical or spiritual - not that there should be
a huge difference between the two! (grin)

So, submission?  Yeah, I guess the submission is to notions of 'God
within' motivating me to try to leave the world in some way a better
place than I found it.  To respond with humility when challenged on my
inconsistencies.  To try to light fires of inspiration in others' hearts
and lives, but to let these burn in ways that work for /them/, not to
become clones of my belief system.  It's that kind of submission - not
to 'authority' as Alan describes it, which I think can be dictatorial
and often unjust, as he indicates.  It's submission to internal (and to
me, God-inspired) prompting, and accepting the wisdom of others as a
balancing and correcting device when necessary.

Hope that makes sense.
With love
Pip