Dear all

On 30 Sep 2004, at 17:21, Prof. Ken J. Smith wrote:

> Wilkinson's db contains one place name I can't
locate in any atlas or similar, & he doesn't give NGRs
for either of the industries there. They are: Celynin
Iron Ore Mine & Celynin Slate Quarry, both at
'Celynin', Merionethshire.

> Anybody provide me with NGRs or even nearest
station?

Further to Dave Linton's references, the National
Acrhives contains some material dealing directly with
mineral rights, mines and leases in Celynin,
Merionethshire. Mostly from the records of The Crown
Estate and predecessors (Class nos CRES 37, and CRES
49).

More directly, it has the following:
  Records of the Office of Land Revenue Records and
Enrolments and its predecessors and associated
departments

LRRO 1/3582 -
Celynin, Llwyngwril: maps referred to in surveyor's
report 6 Apr 1895

As to where it is, generally, the A2A lends the
following information from an HL Private Act of 1811:

"An Act for inclosing Lands in the Parishes of
Dolgelley and Llangelynin, commonly called Celynin, in
the County of Merioneth"

From where, reference to Slater's Directory of North &
Mid Wales, 1895, p.87 gives us:

"Llangelynin is a considerable parish in the hundred
of Taly-Bont and Mowddwy, in the county of Merioneth,
containing the villages of Arthog and Llwyngwril, at
the former there is a station on the Dolgelly branch
of the Cambrian railway; the main line of the Cambrian
system crosses the river Mawddach a short distance
from Barmouth Junction, and passing through Llwyngwul
where there is another station, continues southwards
along the coast to Aberdovey. In Tallyllyn
sub-registration district, Dogelly union, rural
deanery of Ystumanee, archdeaconery of Merioneth, and
diocese of Bangor.

The parish church of St Celynin is situated 2 miles
south of Llywyngwul, on the east side of the road to
Towyn, and is close to the shore. [...]

The are comprises 8,858 acres, of which 37 are water;
the population in 1891 was 955."

Hope this helps,

Chris Jones