Dear Jim,

Odorico Rinaldi (Rainaldus, Raynaldus; 1596-1671) was a continuator of
cardinal Baronio's _Annales Ecclesiastici_.  B. himself got as far as
vol. 12 of this gargantuan work; R. added vol. 13 in 1646 and an
eight-volume sequel, the last volume appearing posthumously, in 1669-77.
 These nine volumes (in 10) were published at Rome by Mascardi and
others as part of an edition beginning with Baronio's volumes and are
usually found in library catalogues under Baronio (Baronius), though a
separate record for them exists at OCLC #9613641.

There have been other continuators and, consequently, later editions.
Rinaldi is often cited from an edition of Lucca (1738-57; 42 vols.).  In
the more recent edition published at Bar-le-Duc in 1864-83 (37 vols.;
OCLC #3572499), Rinaldi is in vols. 20-34.

Hope this helps,
John Dillon

On Sunday, July 24, 2005, at 2:33 pm, Jim Bugslag wrote (initially
quoting someone else):

> > Is there nothing in the front matter of La Ronciere's et al.
> edition of
> > Alexander's registers (_Les registres d'Alexandre IV: recueil des
> bulles> de ce pape publiées ou analysées d'après les manuscrits
> originaux des
> > archives du Vatican_; BEFAR, 2. sér.; [XV], no. 1-8) that would
> give you
> > a lead on this?
>
> While the list is thinking about this problem, it might be
> appropriate for me to ask
> about another bull of the same general period.  Earlier this year,
> I ran across a
> reference to a bull of Gregory IX to St. Louis dated 15 Feb. 1236
> that I am
> interested in knowing more about.  A reference was given to
> "Rainaldi, XIII", which
> is presumably a collection of bulls, but I am not familiar with it.
> Analogous bulls
> were sent shortly later to various French nobles.  The bull
> apparently concerned the
> relationship between church and state in France.  I would be
> grateful for any leads
> on where to find the bull in published form or for analysis or
> discussion of the bull.
> Thanks in advance,
> Jim Bugslag

to: [log in to unmask]