Does anyone have any information on Pedro de Alfonso--late 11th early 12th
centuries ?  He was Jewish but converted to Christianity in Huesca, Spain in
1106 and later went to England.  Like many Jews who lived in Spain he probably
had lived under the Arabs and knew Arabic as well as Hebrew and Ladino.  As
the reconquest progressed, life was not so bearable for Jews in Spain and
Portugal so
many went to England where they could live outwardly as Christians and secretly
be Jews at home.  Alfonso, however, went a step further and wrote Dialogus
Petri et Moysi--an anti-Jewish polemic.

I have only two sources:

Baron, Salo Wittmayer, Social and Religious History of the Jews and,

Williams, Adversus Judaeos, A Bird's Eye View of Christian Apologiae Until the
Renaissance.

A dissertation at USC by Allan Cutler has only a digest of these two sources.

I would like more esoteric stuff if I could find it.

Thanks for any help you can give.

 --V. K. Inman

to: [log in to unmask]
to: [log in to unmask]