I agree a lot of good work is being done in a lot of authorities. Also
Bookstart is hardly new though the very welcome Central Government Funding
for Bookstart, Bookstart plus and Treasure Box is new and news. I think it
is a great pity that for whatever reason, libraries have not been
nationally highlighted at the key to delivering these services- also
increasing library membership and use and literacy and numeracy. How
through this they help meet educational targets and the effect on the
forthcoming Public Library Impact Measures.

Also it is very varied across the country the funding library authorities
have to staff and run  the Bookstart Packages. Booktrust have done a very
good advocacy programme around this- it is a shame that nationally the
Library Marketing opportunity by MLA or whoever may have been missed. We
really need the resource for there to be an advertised national library
offer that takes in things like this and perhaps spend less time on too
many meetings agonising over slogans?

Best wishes

Alan

Alan Issler
Community & Development Manager
Brighton & Hove City Library Service
Jubilee Library
Jubilee Street,
Brighton BN1 1GE
tel:01273-296948
fax:01273-296976
'e' mail: [log in to unmask]
website: www.citylibraries.info

                              Frances Hendrix      To:    [log in to unmask]
                          <frances@LASERFOUNDATIO  cc:
                                 N.ORG.UK>         Subject:     Re: Bags of Books: Sure Start, wonderful idea, missed opportunity ?
                                 Sent by:
                             "lis-pub-libs: UK
                             Public Libraries"
                                  AC.UK>

                             25/07/2005 09:49

                             Please respond to
                              Frances Hendrix

See my response to Adrian
I know,but does the world? I only read the item, but was dismayed at the
lack of promotion and links to public libraries, as I do know what
superb work has gone on, even if I recall we had to fight to get a place
on this scheme at the beginning?