The same thought occurred to me, but this is part of a much wider issue. One can learn a lot from the correspondence of the great minds of the past, but who is archiving emails for posterity? In 100 years time, historians of science will probably know much more about what happened in 1905 than what happened in 2005.

Roger Musson

This e-mail message, and any files transmitted with it, are confidential and intended solely for the use of the  addressee. However, the information contained in this e-mail may subsequently be subject to public disclosure under the Freedom of Information Act 2000 and, unless the information is legally exempt from disclosure, the confidentially of this e-mail and your reply cannot be guaranteed. If this message was not intended for you, you have received it in error and any copying, distribution or other use of any part of it is strictly prohibited. Any views or opinions presented are solely those of the sender and do not necessarily represent  those of the British Geological  Survey.  The  security of e-mail communication  cannot be guaranteed and the BGS accepts no liability  for claims arising as a result of the use of this medium to  transmit messages from or to the BGS.   http://www.bgs.ac.uk