Thanks for all the points so far, the general feeling appears that you
can't tell much with regard to validity from the abstract.
<<<<<<<<<<

Very true Jon, but surely for busy clinicians, the first filter should
be relevance?

You can usually tell from the abstract if the paper fulfils the 'FOCC'
criteria:

F - feasible. i.e. is the intervention feasible to do in your practice
O - outcomes, are they patient oriented outcomes, i.e. do they make the
patient live longer or better
C - common, is the condition a common one you encounter on a regular
basis in your practice. If it is not, then by the time you do see
someone with it, you will have forgotten what the study said anyway
C - change. Will the intervention, if truly of benefit, require us to
change our practice

If you answer NO to ANY of these questions, then you don't need to read
the paper.

This is the only way that busy practitioners can start to filter out the
wheat from the chaff - if we all start looking at validity first, then
as you say we often need the full paper. By filtering for validity
first, we can exclude much that is not worthy of our attention.

Thoughts?

Cheers (8(|)

Jonathan

Jonathan Underhill MRPharmS
Assistant Director, Education and Development
National Prescribing Centre
The Infirmary
70 Pembroke Place
Liverpool
L69 3GF

Tel: 0151-794-8143
Fax: 0151-794-8067
Mobile: 07968 851325

email: [log in to unmask]
website: www.npc.co.uk

----
DISCLAIMER: This e-mail may contain confidential and/or proprietary
information some or all of which may be legally privileged. It is for
the intended recipient only. If any addressing or transmission error has
misdirected this e-mail, please notify the author by replying to this
e-mail and destroy any copies. If you are not the intended recipient you
must not use, disclose, distribute, copy, print, or rely on this e-mail.