From: "Bruce Arroll" <[log in to unmask]>
To: <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Friday, July 15, 2005 5:38 AM
Subject: Re: Efficient retrieval - a means to "close evidence gap"?

Dear all

I think we need to seriously consider the evidence based electronic
textbooks and teach our students to know what is high quality evidence and
what is not. As a clinician in primary care I need answers in minutes. It is
not possible to spend hours trying to find an answer when I can go to
www.dynamicmedical.com or uptodate.com and get an evidence based answer
within minutes. Front line clinicians need comprehensive information (the
answer needs to have a high probability of being there), that is quick and
high quality. They also need critical appraisal skills to know what is good
but it is dinosaur country to expect front line clinicians to spend hours
looking for  answers. That approach does not fit the workplace  ok for
teaching but no go in the everyday world

Regards

Bruce Arroll
University of Auckland