Paul,
I absolutely agree. But its helpful to remember that there are 2 different
purposes to evidence hierachies: (A) a searching guide and (B) grading of
evidence.
The first is used by EBMers to answer specific clinical questions arising
in the care of patients, whereas the latter occurs in guideline writing.
As a searching guide it works something like this:
A question about treatment arises in caring for a patient, and I have
(only) a couple of minutes to find the best current evidence.
1. I check if there is a systematic review (I'd use PubMed:Clinical Queries
as it picks up the Cochrane and non-Cochrane reviews). If I find a
systematic review, I still need to check the quality is OK.
2. If there is no systematic review, then I look for individual RCTs (and
focus on the largest well-conducted study first). If an RCT exists, I then
need to appraise the quality. If its no good (e.g, a small and flawed
study) or there are no RCTs then I'd move on to the next level,
3. If there are no RCTs, then I'd check if there are any cohort studies. If
a cohort study exists, ....
etc
The evidence "hierarchy" is used as a search heuristic, with alternation
between finding evidence at a particular level and checking the quality of
what is found.

A guideline writing (who is hopefully also an EBMer, but that seems pretty
rare) would hopefully work through the same process, but also give a grade
to the best evidence found. As the guideline writer will have more time
they might also check the next level of evidence down the hierarchy.

Like all heuristics, it is murky but makes doing bedside EBM possible. And
better search heuristics would be great. Suggestions anyone?

Cheers

Paul Glasziou

At 09/07/2005, Dr Paul Montgomery wrote:
>  The problem I have with these sorts of evidence hierarchies is that once
> you go below an RCT, how to prioritise? It seems to me that depending on
> the nature of the question posed, it may be that a cohort study with
> perhaps historical controls could actually be better than a sloppy
> case-control study where the controls were contemporaneous. And as we
> progress down the hierarchy, things seem to get murkier and
> murkier.............
>
>  Or am I missing something?
>
>  Paul
>
>  Dr Paul Montgomery
>  Departmental Lecturer in Evidence Based Intervention
>  University of Oxford
>  Barnett House
>  Wellington Square
>  Oxford
>  OX1 2ER

Paul Glasziou
Department of Primary Health Care &
Director, Centre for Evidence-Based Practice, Oxford
ph: 44-1865-227055  www.cebm.net