I couldn't agree more.  The NATO/US has regularly sought to use its military power to create such divisive politics, around the world, for reasons that are more in the imagination than reality. This is pure foolishness. And when such action incites the development of transnational counters (be they through the medium of religion, politics, economics or something else) --and it is a most obvious defensive strategy-- the NATO/US has seemed unable to comprehend that counter for what it is -a transnational defensive response.  Instead of amending its ways and resolving the matter the NATO/US continues to apply the same strategy as before. Truly the national military is meant for defense, and it is no wonder it is an impotent tool in the face of  a transnational defensive response. The use of national military only goes to fuel the transnational warfare called terrorism.  I think the availability (I hesitate to use the word advancement) of more precise and distant war machines has served to give the NATO/US an ever more false sense of superiority, encouraging it to undertake 'morally good precise offensives'.  How could any normally sensible person/nation believe that an unprovoked offensive would not elicit any defensive response? Too, I fail to understand how anyone could seriously believe in the superiority of machines over men.  What's that proverb, 'fools rush in where angels fear to thread'?

Padmanabha

-----Original Message-----
From: Mike Metcalfe [mailto:[log in to unmask]]

Padmanabha, I agree with you but like the perspective of the human
species' herd instincts or inclusion needs. It seems to be easy to get
groups of humans to do stupid and violent things by appealing to their
being a member of a special grouping. The classic 'Western' cases
include Christianity, and the Nazi prosecution of Jews. I was re-reading
the Communist manifesto over the weekend, 35 years since the last time,
and it now strikes me as extremely divisive;  the poor against the rich.
It indirectly incites violence by distinguishing human groups. It is
dangerous politics to develop a 'them and us' mentality in people.  This
can be particularly hard on those that do not neatly fit into the
proposed dichotomy. Having a common factor to motivate is one thing, to
make that a particular group of people is wrong.

Also from a soldier's perspective... The US has an almost unassailable
military advantage. However, their entire complex, from rifle to tank to
warfare, requires a target to function. Terrorism is a means of warfare
that does not provide a target thus rendering a conventional targeting
military system somewhat impotent.

mike

Dr Mike Metcalfe, Argumentative Inquiry, School Of  Management.
http://business.unisa.edu.au/research/groups/irg/default.asp