Dear BNIM course mates,

The interviews I will do for my PhD project will be held with women who a- at some point in their lives- made a suicide attempt.

After completing the BNIM course and my explanation of it, my supervisor worries if BNIM, in which interviewees are asked to bring back and relive memories- is suitable for those who have been through a traumatic experience (such as a suicide attempt).
 Her main worry is that when an interviewee is asked to tell and reminisce about the incidence of the suicide attempt, there may be chance that this procedure will bring about distress that may lead to a possible additional suicide attempt after the interview is finished. She wondered if a more formal, less memory- provoking and "superficial" style of interviewing is more adequate for trauma interviewing.

Does any of you have used BNIM on those who have been through a trauma? And what are your thoughts and experiences on this ?

Kind regards

Diana van Bergen
PhD Student
Vrije Universiteit