Dear Friends

First I would like to welcome Kari Skarholt and Hanne Olofsson Finnestrand to Aacorn. Kari and Hanne participated in the Organisational Theatre Thin Book Summit we organised here at LLD in March 2005 - they are great!  I want to apologise to them both for not nominating them to Aacorn as I promised to do after the Summit. No excuse – other than lack of time…

There were more great people at the Summit who expressed an interest in joining Aacorn. I would like to nominate collectively as they all have a background in Organisational Theatre. So here they are – with their own stories…

All the best

Hilde

Marijke Broekhuijsen, Director Senior Management Programmes at the Executive and Management Development Centre, Nyenrode University, Netherlands (http://www.nyenrode.nl/executive/emdc.cfm), independent trainer/consultant and actor.  “…I am originally trained as an actor (Theatreschool Amsterdam) and graduated in Cultuurpedagogiek (UvA). Later I got a Master in Art & Media Management. I spent many years in adult education and as curator of the Amsterdam Historical Museum. My career in MD started at Shell in 1980, when I was asked as a theatre professional to train managers in so called self-development programs. I have since performed various activities in MD or OD context for companies and governmental organisations, often theatre related but not necessarily so. I still do. In 1990 I started working for Nyenrode University, first for the executive MBA, later as program director of ( open and in-company) senior management programs; also teacher/coach in other programs at Nyenrode.  During all these years I have continued to act on stage and for television, though the last years not as much as I would like…I know OT from different perspectives: from the theatre-professional side, from the MD-professional side and as a program

director. I both offer and buy OT, which is sometimes confusing…”

Daniel Hjorth, Associate Professor, ESBRI (Entrepreneurship and Small Business Research Institute), Stockholm; Malmö University (www.esbri.se); and affiliated to Växjö University, Sweden. “…My background is a researcher in entrepreneurship and organization theory. I work with entrepreneurship as forms of social creativity and emphasise the creative sides, opening op to the use of aesthetic knowledge and perspectives for an understanding of entrepreneurial creation processes. Together with Chris Steyaert I have developed a performative approach to the conduct of ‘presenting’ research. We perform research in the form of theatrical performances, using scripts to guide a story that takes ‘the audience’ (most often academics attending a conference) through experiencing the points we like to get across. These performances have also been published as scripts. It is a way to change the way research participates in society. This form relies on basic features of drama, i.e., of alerting a broader range of senses in order to ‘communicate’ the message. It is an ‘effective’ way to communicate complex concepts to practitioners in organizations (when performed in the context of a consulting job)…”

Dorthe Bille, Actor, Videnskabsteatret (www.videnskabsteatret,dk), Denmark,  Dell’Arte International School of Physical Theatre California. USA, B.A. in Theatre Science and in the teaching of adults, MLP Master in Learning Processes. “…I have been working with theatre for several years, as an actress, a teacher, a director, and a project manager etc. About a year ago I started as cultural entrepreneur producing science theater. Science theatre is a fusion of the lecture and the theatre performance. A science-theater performance is arranged and created in close collaboration between the artist and the scientist. This means that the scientific professional who participates in the performance is present at stage alongside with the actors. My performances are based on a visual, a musical and a sensuous expression, where the scientist’s words, the performer’s action and the music in a reciprocal action create a dynamic and a whole.  Science-theater is a way in which you may communicate scientific results and knowledge to a broader audience. The layman is thereby given a change for insight in important knowledge and the performance will create a space for critical dialog and debate…”

Paul Levy, Director, CATS3000 Limited, (www.cats3000.com) and Senior Research Fellow, CENTRIM (Centre for Research in Innovation Management (CENTRIM) in Brighton UK. “…I am a social scientist by training, and now director of my own training and organisational theatre company. I have written several books including Technosophy (about wisdom and technology management) and E:Quality (about diversity and employee involvement) Our company takes theatre performance into organisational life. We have worked with organisations throughout industry and the public sector and are currently touring a show called ”Re-Inventing the Cheese” which is all about the world of work. Previous productions include ”Win, Win, Win” about the dangers of Competition, and ”Bunk”, a play about art in industry and the meaning of work. I work closely with Arts and Business in the UK and have evaluated their own Creativiity in Management programme…”

Jan Rae, Senior Lecturer, HRM and Management,  London South Bank University. “… I have a background in theatre (and still very involved on a non-professional basis)  and the BBC before moving to work in Higher Education,  and  have just completed my first year at Durham Business School on the Doctorate in Business Administration.   My research is, broadly speaking, looking at the ways in which theatre and drama is or could be used within organisations to bring about change, whether on an individual or organisational basis,  I also have an interest in management learning and hope eventually to link these themes together…”

Göran von Euler, Actor and CEO, Pocket Theater (www.pocket.nu ), Sweden. Göran is one of the founders of Pocket Theater and he is a teacher in education and psychology and trained actor.  POCKET is a consulting and educational company supporting people and organisations in change. Pocket was one of the first groups in Sweden to develop OT (interactive theatre) as a method for personal, group and organisational development in professional life.

Hilde Bollen //Coordinator

LEARNING LAB DENMARK

The Danish University of Education

Emdrupvej 101, 2400 Copenhagen NV, Denmark

E. [log in to unmask] -  T. + 45 8888 9964  -  F. +45 8888 9922  - web: www.lld.dk

Apply to our new international Master in Leadership and Innovation in Complex Systems - www.lincsmaster.net

Order your copy of Artful Creation: Learning-tales of Arts-in-Business: www.lld.dk/artfulcreation

Subscribe to our journal at www.lld.dk/quarterly