"An earlier incident in the Vita has V.'s enemies placing women's
clothing and shoes in his bedroom one night in the correct expectation
that when he arose on the following morning he would in the darkness
dress himself in these and, so attired, celebrate Matins before the
people and clergy.  As the light grew, it became apparent to all (were
there no candles in V.'s cathedral to facilitate earlier discovery?)
how V. was dressed; it was widely assumed that V.'s sartorial
embarrassment arose from unchaste behavior on his part.  Can any of the
learned on this list cite ancient or medieval parallels of unintended
crossdressing provoking ridicule or suspicion against a cleric or other
authority figure? "

A trick like this was played on Saint Jerome, I believe. In fact, an
illustrated ms. shows this scene vividly, a bald, bearded man in a dress,
quite startling until one reads the explanation. I also believe the ms. is
the "Belles Heures" of Jean, duc de Berry. I shall search...
MG

to: [log in to unmask]
to: [log in to unmask]