Simon Mills wrote:
> I think there is a confusion here. Just because a wifi network is available
> in a so-called "wild" area does not mean that that space is digital any more
> than it has been changed by the presence of radio waves does it?

Radio waves certainly change spaces: have you ever gone camping and had
a group in the next site bring a radio?  That changes the character of
the experience.  The same could be said for Geocaching, which brings
digital devices into the forest as navigation equipment.

> If we look at digitization as a process of sampling of the analogue then
> wouldn't we answer some of these questions very differently.

I'm not sure we're being that specific in our definitions--I've been
using "digital" as a catch-all for high-tech equipment and the
(cyber)spaces created by them.

Best,
Brendan

re geocaching: