Pat,

> > One proviso on alignment of different time frames is that you cannot
> > currently align two time frames if the alignment would involve the use of
> > DUT1 (the difference between UTC and UT1). In practice this means that
> > the supported timescales are divided up into two groups
> >
> > 1) TAI, UTC, TT, TDB, TCG, TCB
> > 2) UT1, LAST, LMSG, GMST
> >
> > and you can only align a time frame with another from the same group.
>
> The important distinction is that group (1) really are time scales whereas
> group (2) are angles that describe Earth rotation.  In fact Earth Rotation
> Angle (and local ERA) could usefully be added to group (2).

At the moment, I've not emphasised this distinction in order to provide a
consistent interface and model for the TimeFrame class. Refering to UT1,
etc, as a "timescale" also seems to be common practice in things like
SUN/67 and Arnold Rots STC schema.

> The sidereal times in group (2) ought to be IAU 2000 compliant.  Are they?

It's as per fortran slalib, so I guess that means no? If I'm interpreting
things correctly, the equation of the equinoxes is IAU 1994 and the
UT1-GMST relation is IAU 1982.

Keeping up with changing IAU recommendations could be a problem.
Presumably a supposedly general purpose thing like TimeFrame should
ideally support a range of historical conventions as well as current
conventions, since there will be lots of data out there which use the
historical conventions?

David