I think it is more accurate to say that we all care about beliefs,
especially those we do not share, when they stand to affect our lives--when
they are brought into the "political arena," which can be any public space.
Singling out "religious beliefs" as particularly problematic indicates a
special prejudice against them.

Someone arguing policy from some basis in a religious anthropology, for
instance, is liable to be differentiated from someone arguing from a
non-religious--maybe a materialist--anthropology. The only neutral
description of the situation is that there are competing first principles
and conflicted rationalities in play. They are structurally identical,
however, and it is only the foreignness or provenance of one that concerns
me, or inclines me to consider it suspect or harmful. If I label it
"religious" or "irreligious" I have committed myself to a position in the
conflict. Often this commitment is made against the "religious" position
while one's neutrality is also averred (usually sincerely) by upholding a
"separate but equal" doctrine.

But the presumption that religion and politics can be separated cleanly or
that there is some legal basis for this--and that they have separate arenas
(the private and the public)--is a myth and a very useful one (to some more
than others) for certain purposes. But if it is mystified as a point of
quasi-religious doctrine itself, it can be demystified--and is has been, to
a good extent. The myth of a public sphere and a political rationality shorn
of religion belongs to an age that may well be passing and is looking rather
shopworn.

I am surprised that this is not recognized and discussed with intelligence
more among scholars of early modern Europe. But if Ralph Reed strikes a
person as a horribly disturbing or merely loathsome toad, I have to wonder
how well they can possibly understand political actors and the common person
during the bloody confessionalization of Europe. Our nation states and the
rational, neutral public square were in part coping mechanisms and reactions
to religious, political, ethnic, and linguistic pluralism in Europe that
could not be held together once competing factions went to war with each
other. And of course individual ethno-national blocs were never completely
politically stable or homogeneous, thereby preserving the potential for new
ruptures and reconfigurations.