>The official word at Cornell from the agencies (e.g. turnitin.com)and from
>University Counsel a few years ago was that we had to turn every single
>paper in to the agency, not just a paper which we suspected, since
>fairness demands it. This requirement deterred me and some of my
>colleagues from dealing with these agencies, though I think others go
>ahead and do what they want, which is to send just the suspected paper
>in.Has anyone else heard of the turn-everything-in rule?

I was a teaching assistant at Dalhousie University (Halifax, Nova Scotia) where turnitin.com was used by the English department.  However, it was up to the students to submit the essay themselves, and then the professor/TA could access the website to see the scores.  The departmental rule was that the student could not receive their grade on their paper until they had submitted it.  We still received hard copies to mark - there wasn't the awkwardness of all students having to hand in their assignments to us electronically.  The only problem was that a lot of the papers were in a grey area because they had quoted properly but extensively from source on the web.  Unfortunately, turnitin.com (at least when I used it), couldn't check for proper MLA referencing!  So there was still a certain amount of checking that we had to do - and probably 98/100 times there was no plagiarism (which is comforting!).

MJD

Meredith J. Donaldson
PhD Candidate
English Department