It depends, too, on whether the university administration is more or less inclined to cautious mercy than individual professors.  My husband had a disheartening experience with sending a batch of plagiarism cases to his dean's office this year; punishments were inconsistent and altogether more lenient than he was used to doling out on his own.  He's going to go back to playing solo cop next year (with some better defensive/preventive measures).

Kelly

--
Dr

Kelly Quinn

Assistant Professor, Department of English

University of Western Ontario

London, Ontario  N6A 3K7

Canada

(519) 661-2111, extension 85825

Joel Davis wrote:
[log in to unmask]">I have to agree with your philosophy, Michael, and with your preventive measures, David.  My university is implementing a student-run "honor council" which is supposed to investigate all charges of plagiarism or other cheating & make recommendations to professors (who still decide on sanctions).  The problem it has run into is that it can't effectively investigate all the charges plagiarism it receives, so faculty are better off failing students suspected of plagiarism and putting the onus on those students to appeal to the honor council.  I'm not sure a "plagiarism cop" could do the job very well without a pretty large staff, but on the other hand, I'm starting to think that universities serious about their academic reputation ought to invest...

Joel B Davis
Assistant Professor
Department of English
Stetson University