Hi

(1) As this is a new list, a short self-intro might be in order?
My research in popular music is mostly into rock, with an emphasis on the making of different kinds of meanings, cultural and commercial.

In the course of this work, I became interested in traces of, or similarities to, what some people might describe as 'shamanistic' behaviour - in the construction and enactment of live performances in particular, but also in lyric writing.

Since then, I've maintained an interest in conceptualisations of music and its connections with religion, but not actually doing any empirical work in it yet.

(2) Not sure how many here might be members of the Dancecult list? - see

Dancecult-l mailing list
[log in to unmask] http://listcultures.org/mailman/listinfo/dancecult-l_listcultures.org

Anyway, I saw this post this morning,and wondered whether it might be of interest, assuming the word 'religion' is being taken reasonably broadly.

I've never been to Burning Man, but have done some peripheral work on rock festivals.
There is also a well-known article in the Journal of Consumer Research by Robert Kozinets about consumption aspects of BM.

Anyway, here's the copy-posting, from Graham St John on Dancecult:

<<Interesting article about SF raves co-evolution with BM and some of the
conflicts that the music (generally psy-trance I would suggest) has
generated on site. When I was at Burning Man in 2003, I was struck by the
pervasive presence of EDMC. There were sound systems and djs in many of the
theme camps, huge, creative and very extravagant dance clubs out on the
periphery. The place was like a hyper-rave. I wasnt prepared for this,
partly because the 'intelligence' I'd received in advance wasn't entirely
accurate. That may have much to do with the way that 'spokespeople'
(including those writing about BM) have been quite legitimately cautious
about how the event is represented given the status of RAVE and ecstasy - a
threat, increasing America's Vulnerability - on the US radar. And when I
met Larry Harvey (BM's founder) he was noticeably defensive when id
mentioned that i was about to publish a book with the title Rave Culture
and Religion [http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/0415314496/qid%3D1118992623/202-3712551-9122216].
Anyway, this is an interesting read:
http://www.sfbg.com/39/37/cover_barsclubs_burningman.html>>

Daragh O'Reilly