I would have thought it could be one of two things,
robbing coal from pillars in Room and Pillar working,
or robbing coal from the bounderies, ie under cities
where it was forbidden.
Removing pillars was always called pillar extraction
when I worked in Room and Pillar workings.
I did read somewhere that it was common under private
ownership before the 1900's that "removing" a little
from the pillars was common. Dangerous practice as it
weakened them, with the risk of heavy convergence of
the workings.

John Waudby