Dear Marjorie,

thanks for calling my attention to the image! (You'll see why.)

Of course it is Mary, a fine example of the iconography based on the Protevangelium Jacobi (mid-2nd c.), very much in use in the West (as Ps-Matthew) until cca. the trecento. The detailed Annunciation scene in the ProtEv describes Mary sitting on her throne, spinning the purple thread for the veil of the sanctuary of the Temple. It all has a special meanings  - I'm actually in the process of writing up that chapter in my book about the theology of the ProtEv.

She is no maiden, as she is the representing the Church, and the cross in her right hand indicates that.

I can't see any trace of a trinitarian program, though.

Best,
George

G. Gereby
associate professor
Ancient and Mediaeval Philosophy Department, E*tv*s Lor*nd University Budapest
recurrent associate professor
Medieval Studies Dept.
Central European University
Budapest V.
Nador u. 9.
H-1051 Hungary
+ 36.1.3273046 office
>>> [log in to unmask] 05. 06. 20. 7:58 >>>

In a recent Bulletin from the Met Museum of Art, an image caught my eye.
With regard to the  image, eventually identified as Trinitarian, of what was
at first thought to be Mary, see:
http://www.metmuseum.org/explore/Ingres/Ingres/HTML/el_ingres_cat10_rel1e.htm
The image is identified in the Bulletin as "Virgin Mary as a Personification
of the Church Triumphant." I confess I would not have associated this image
of "threatening monumentality" with the Annunciation! It's the spindle and
distaff in the left hand that do it for the author of the description in the
Bulletin. The blurb on the web explains why this image is juxtaposed with
Ingres's image of Napoleon, fascinatin' stuff...
MG

to: [log in to unmask]
to: [log in to unmask]

to: [log in to unmask]