Etheldreda's story is somewhat murky to say the least.  Her father gave her
to her first husband, Tonbert.  The kingdom of East Anglia probably profited
by his endowment of Ely and its fenlands to her (though there is some
disagreement as to whether he owned it first or she had it from the start as
a dowry).  Her brother subsequently gave her to Egfrid of Northumbria but no
one says what he got in return.  The agreement in both cases to respect her
virginity was upheld in the second marriage by her alliance with archbishop
Wilfrid.  In the seventh century chaste marriage (either non-consummated or
entailing a later vow of abstinence) was upheld by the church on the grounds
hat Joseph and Mary had a valid marriage.  It was also an instrument for
trying to get priests who were married to give up their conjugal rights
(with mixed success).  The issue  in canon law did not arise until the 12th
century, I believe.

It is possible that Egfrid agreed to the non-consummation of his marriage
because he already had a sexually active wife or acquired one in the course
of the marriage.  Bede makes a villainess out of his "second" wife
Iurmenberg because she was hostile to Wilfrid but the chronology of these
marriages was far from clear.  I suspect he may have consistently fudged or
concealed polygamous habits among the Anglo-Saxons.  Why should they have
been more monogamous than other Germanic royalty of the age?  In any case,
Egfrid did try to renege and both Etheldreda and Wilfrid had to flee the
kingdom as a result.  Though again, their may have been more political
causes for the breach than Bede cares to let on.

Jo Ann McNamara