Bill East wrote:

> One can begin to make some generalisations. The other chants are
> normally quotations, more or less word for word, from the scriptures,
> but the Alleluia, while being recognisably scriptual in theme, is
> often not a direct quotation: such are the Alleluias for Advent 3,
> Advent 4, the Vigil Mass of Christmas and the third Mass of Christmas
> Day. Pace Dix, there seems to be seldom any connection of thought
> between the Offertory and the Communion

You can take Advent 3 off the list - that's from Ps. 79:3.  As I said
before, you need to look at other days: the Communion text for the Second
Mass of Christmas is in the Offertory for Ember Saturday, the Communion for
Advent 3 is the Offertory for Advent 4.

John Briggs

to: [log in to unmask]
to: [log in to unmask]