Thank you, Susan!  This is exactly what I was looking for, though the
legal use cited below wouldn't apply to land owned by a church or
monastery.

Cf. OED, s.v. 'waste' (n.):
"2. A piece of land not cultivated or used for any purpose, and
producing little or no herbage or wood. In legal use spec. a piece of
such land not in any man's occupation, but lying common."

BTW, neither 'Driesch' nor 'aire' signifies a churchyard.

Best again,
John Dillon

On Monday, June 13, 2005, at 5:33 am, you wrote (quoting me):

> <<But does English have
> some  conventional term of art whose significance is that of Fr.
> "aire"and Ger.  "Driesch"? >>
>
> The closest I can think of is 'waste'.  In modern English, we use
> 'wasteland' as a generic, but the term 'waste' survives in places.
> For  example, part
> of the road out of the City of London towards Stoke Newington is
> still called
> The Waste.  I am not aware of its being used in connexion with
> churchyards
> however;  but I am no scholar in these matters.
>
> Susan,  retreating to lurkdom
> Susan Ryley Hoyle

to: [log in to unmask]
to: [log in to unmask]