On Saturday, June 11, 2005, at 6:24 pm, Phyllis wrote:

> Today (12. June) is the feast day of:
>
> Onuphrius (d. c. 400)  Among the legends of the early desert
> fathers
> is the story of Onuphrius.  While on a visit to the hermits of the
> Thebaid, Abbot Paphnutius met O.  O. told him he had been a hermit
> for seventy years.  O. regaled P. with miraculously-appearing food,
> then told him that God had sent P. to bury him.  O. then died, P.
> buried him in a hole in the mountainside that then disappeared.

In celebration of this widely popular saint, herewith a few medievally
pertinent, mostly south Italian witnesses to his cult.  Visually,
they're not very exciting (except, perhaps for some of the scenery): O.,
after all was a hermit, and what he had dedicated to him medievally was
mostly hermitages and small monastic churches.  Frequently located in
exposed positions on mountain tops or on steep hillsides, these had a
way of becoming ruinous over time and for the most part have not
survived or else have been completely rebuilt in more recent times.

O.'s originally 13th-century church at San Giovanni Rotondo (FG) on the
Gargano:
http://www.padrepioesangiovannirotondo.it/chiesa_di_s__onofrio.htm
http://www.discoveritalia.de/luoghi/images/content/multimedia/foto400/97019154.jpg
TinyURL for this: http://tinyurl.com/bbbt6

The latter's main portal:
http://www.sangiovannirotondo.biz/via_francesca/tn_san_giovanni_rotondo_2.jpg
TimyURL for this: http://tinyurl.com/exqk8

These two pages have thumbnail-sized views of the originally
twelfth-century monastery of Sant'Onofrio at Petina (SA):
http://www.aulettaterranostra.it/index.aspx?pag=15
http://www.comune.petina.sa.it/risorse_culturali.asp

O.'s hermitage outside of Sulmona (AQ):
http://www.sulmona.org/tour/parte6.php
Better views of the hermitage's montane surround are at the bottom of
this page:
http://www.concapeligna.it/itinerari/itinerario1/eremo/eremo.htm
At the time of his election to the papacy in 1294, the future Celestine
V was residing in a grotto here.  The building shown is of course later;
it is also a reconstruction of one destroyed by German artillery in 1943.

And, from northern Italy, O. in a fifteenth-century fresco in the church
of Santa Brigida at Santa Brigida (BG) in the Valle Brembana:
http://www.maschiselvatici.it/immagini/onofrio.jpg

Best,
John Dillon

to: [log in to unmask]