Dear Carlos,

The man is holding a staff but as far as I can see, there is no other
indication of his status as bishop or abbot. It's impossible to see in the
image what he is doing with his right hand. Blessing?
Where is this capital located? and is it "in the round" or a half capital
against a wall? Finally, why a lion? Could it not be some other sort of
beast? Is it possible you have a local saint surrounded by two elements of
his legend?
MG

>From: CARLOS <[log in to unmask]>
>To: [log in to unmask]
>Subject: [M-R] Query: Abbot and Evangelists?
>Date: Wed, 8 Jun 2005 13:01:13 +0200
>
>medieval-religion: Scholarly discussions of medieval religion and culture
>
>Dear list members:
>
>I am studying a Romanesque rural church where there is a curious
>capital, showing an abbot (?) surrounded but two symbols of the
>Tetramorph, the lion and the eagle.
>
>http://www.geocities.com/cdesastre20008/ABBOT.htm
>
>  I have unsuccessfully tried to find similar images. Does any of you
>per chance know of some iconographic parallel?
>
>Thanks for any help
>
>Carlos

>To join the list, send the message: join medieval-religion YOUR NAME
>to: [log in to unmask]
>To send a message to the list, address it to:
>To leave the list, send the message: leave medieval-religion
>to: [log in to unmask]
>In order to report problems or to contact the list's owners, write to:
>For further information, visit our web site:
>http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/medieval-religion.html

to: [log in to unmask]
to: [log in to unmask]