From: Steven Heywood [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: 09 June 2005 12:08
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Online games

And paperback books, which "aren't proper books". (-:

This thread raises interesting questions about how we manage interactive cultural activities in our libraries, and even whether we can, or should, manage them at all in an electronic world. Traditional activities have tended to place the mass of library customers in the rôles of reader or audience; it will be interesting to see how libraries evolve to support interactivity, which has generally just been the preserve of children's school holiday events.

It's also worth pointing out that online gaming is popular amongst people who have long since left school (and appalling behaviour isn't solely the preserve of the young).

Steven

Steven Heywood
Systems Manager
Rochdale Library Service