'Rules and Regulations' is, like 'skills and competencies' and 'aims and objectives', an example of managementspeak tautology.seeking to convey the Important and Unchallengeable.  Whatever you do, avoid the term.
Edward Dudley

-----Original Message-----
From: lis-pub-libs: UK Public Libraries [mailto:[log in to unmask]]On Behalf Of Michael Clarke
Sent: 21 June 2005 17:05
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: "Rules and Regulations" leaflets

Just a point about plain English. It's a good goal to aim for, even if you still have to have a formal legal document somewhere in the background. One thing authorities might consider is getting a member of staff plain English trained (the Plain English Campaign run courses) so that they can write in a plain English style. This enables you to create documents easily - without having to have them reviewed externally - that are accessible in style. You can't use it to award yourself a Crystal Mark (the Campaign still has to do that) but it's probably not appropriate to submit every publication for accreditation - in terms of time and cost it isn't justified, so this is a good halfway house. Deciding at the start of the year on one or two key publications you will go for full accreditation on will show you mean business and demonstrate good will. Then of course there's the matter of simple English - to assist people with learning disabilities....

Michael Clarke
Director
London Libraries Development Agency
35 St Martin's Street