I think that one of the advantages of having a case study that covers wide areas of the specification is that it discourages question-spotting.  A well-prepared student needs to consider the totality of the spec – rather than focus too narrowly on a small number of aspects.  There will always be topics that are more significant than others (e.g. management styles, methods of organising production, nature of business objectives) – and a well constructed paper will major on these – but not to the exclusion of other areas.  There have been five AQA Unit 2&3 case studies so far (I think?) – from memory they have all been of a high standard.  Well written. Not too data intensive.  Requiring careful reading.  Comparing them to IB, OCR, Edexcel et al, AQA can probably claim to be the gold standard at this level.

Jim

From: Economics, business, and related subjects [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Duncan Williamson
Sent: 08 June 2005 14:56
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: ~Yesterdays AQA Paper~

With a decent case Barney there could still be the need for back up resources but at least they wouldn’t need to pepper the entire syllabus or vast swathes of it every time for what is only worth an hour or two of examination time. Work would be much more structured, focused and logical. The examiner could also be much happier with a much richer case having been written too.

I’m happy you liked the work we did: we feel that it was our best to date!

Duncan