Dear Deborah,

If my earlier reply is of any use to  you at all, feel free to use it to back up
your claim for justification. I would be very interested to be kept up to date
with the progress of this, if you don't mind sharing it with me. Of course, if
there as any other help you think I can give, please contact me directly on
this address.

Good luck.

Jeremy.

--
Jeremy Wickins,
PhD Researcher, Biometrics and Social Exclusion,

Tel: +44 (0)114 222 6881
Fax: +44 (0)114 222 6886

Quoting Deborah Allen <[log in to unmask]>:

> As a beginning researcher who attends a college with no disability studies
> program, I am extremely grateful for all the support and advice I have
> received.  I am a bit reluctant to go into details on a public list, but I
> will say that the professors who met with the IRB rep with me are convinced
> that I am being asked to fulfill unreasonable demands.  The rep refused to
> provide documentation of her demands, and when asked to do so, she refused
> to produce evidence that other researchers were forced to endure the kind of
> demands the IRB is asking of me.  In addition, I know other students who
> have not dealt with the level of scrutiny I am experiencing.  I am not sure,
> but I think I am the first student with a disability who has submitted
> applications to my university's IRB.  However, I know other students who
> have conducted insider research with marginalized groups, and they did not
> go through what I am experiencing with the IRB.  At first, I was going to
> scramble and get the citations, but after reading all of the replies to my
> post, I have decided to make the IRB justify the unreasonable demands and
> restrictions expected of me.  I will appreciate getting permission to
> forward replies regarding this matter to the IRB.
>
> Deborah Allen

> Archives and tools for the Disability-Research Discussion List
> are now located at:
>
> www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/disability-research.html
>
> You can JOIN or LEAVE the list from this web page.

are now located at: