Colleagues,

I am truing to put together a bibliography on micro-territoriality/ies with
no success in as much as the discourse on territorialities seems to
concentrate on wider scales. Could anybody out there suggest items? I will
be glad to post the results to the list.

Thanks for any help,

Joel Outtes

Dr Joel Outtes, Head

GEST-Group for the Study of Society and Territory (see info below)

UFRGS-Universidade Federal do Rio Grande do Sul

Porto Alegre-RS, Brazil

  _____

Call for International Collaboration in Research in Historical, Urban,
Cultural, Economic and Political Geography

GEST-Group for the Study of Society and Territory,

Universidade Federal do Rio Grande do Sul,

Porto Alegre, Brazil.

GEST- The Group for the Study of Society and Territory, a research group
based at UFRGS-The Universidade Federal do Rio Grande do Sul, Porto
Alegre-RS, Brazil, is interested in establishing agreements and
collaborating with colleagues in other institutions, cities and countries.
We can either be a South American and/or North American and even European
"leg" of comparative research projects and/or have colleagues as partners in
any of our projects. Our team has international mobility and language
skills.

We are also willing to collaborate with other colleagues applying for NEH,
and/or NSF grants as well as other funding agencies worldwide such as the
European Science Foundation. For instance, I received a message from the NSF
representative for international collaboration with Brazil saying that they
are prepared to fund research anywhere as long as there is/are USA-based
colleagues willing to put research bids together with us at GEST. The same
kind of relationship can be established with other funding agencies
worldwide.

We have several research projects, many with a strong historic component. We
do accept new partners in these projects, where we have several research
assistants. This is to say that if you want to propose your own project,
discuss possibilities or if you want to become a partner in a comparative
study with any of the projects below, which are obviously in different
degrees of completion, we can explore options together. Please find below
our description.

GEST-Group for the Study of Society and Territory.

GEST is an interdisciplinary research group based at the Universidade
Federal do Rio Grande do Sul, Porto Alegre-RS, Brazil; composed of
professors, researchers, graduate and undergraduate students. GEST members
work on subjects ranging from comparative projects with a transnational
scope, to the History and Geography of Housing and Cities and the Spatial
Dynamics of Crime.

Other research interests in the group include economic restructuring,
governance and their spatial impacts; residential and intra-metropolitan
mobility; and the grape and the colonization of the Brazilian territory: A
Geography of wine. GEST members have done empirical work in places such as
Europe (Paris, Oxford, Cambridge, London, Stockholm, Copenhagen, Turin), the
USA (Chicago, Washington, Milwaukee, New York, and Boston) and Latin America
(Rio de Janeiro, São Paulo, Recife, Porto Alegre, and Buenos Aires), as well
as in several libraries and universities in all these locations.

We are also interested in receiving foreign scholars to give lectures here.
We recently received Prof. Shaul Krakover who gave a set of lectures on
Spatial Cycles simultaneously translated into Portuguese, and can provide
information about his stay here. We translate from English, French and
Spanish. Please get in touch if you want to lecture or do research here.

GEST research projects include:

1. Cities Representing the Nation: Planning and Nation-Building in Brazil in
a Comparative Perspective (1855-2005).

2. At the Crossroad of Urban and Social Reform: The International Federation
for Housing and Planning and the International Union of Local Authorities in
a Comparative Perspective (1913-2005).

3. The Urban and Environmental History of the Porto Alegre and Caxias do Sul
Metropolitan Regions, Brazil.

4. Spatial Dynamics of Crime in the Metropolitan Regions of Porto Alegre and
Caxias do Sul: A Geography of Illegal Territories.

5. Geography of Wine: Grapes and the Colonization of Southern Brazil (c.
1875-2005).

6. Economic Restructuring and its Impacts in South America, Brazil and Rio
Grande do Sul.

7. The History of Housing and Housing Policies in Brazil in a Comparative
Perspective (c. 1850-2005).

8. Intra-Metropolitan Residential Mobility in the Regions of Porto Alegre
and Caxias do Sul, Brazil (1886-2005).

9. Participative Democracy and Urban Planning in the Metropolitan Regions of
Porto Alegre and Caxias do Sul.

If you would like to establish any kind of collaboration with GEST and/or
discuss possibilities, please write to us. Please feel free to forward this
message to potential interested parts.

Yours,

Joel Outtes

Prof. Dr Joel Outtes, DPhil (University of Oxford)

Head, GEST-Group for the Study of Society and Territory

UFRGS-Universidade Federal do Rio Grande do Sul

E-mail: [log in to unmask]