Hi All
I was wondering if you'd be willing to help forward a link to a survey I'm running in conjunction with the Times Higher Education Supplement.  I've been studying researcher safety/wellbeing for several years, and over that time people have been saying they have more problems within their departments with issues of bullying and harrassment, than they experience 'in the field' with participants.  As a result I've separated out my research and am now running a subsidiary survey on academic experiences of bullying on top of my other wellbeing research.

Frequently staff on short term contracts, those from ethnic or sexual minorities, or junior staff are reporting bullying experiences, but often academic-related staff are excluded from bullying research, as are managers.

Although other research has been carried out on this issue within universities, much of it has been internal reports, studies of union members, or research that focuses only on people who've reported being  bullied.  This current study is open to any academic or academic-related staff member working in a university within the UK or Northern Ireland.  They may have been bullied or perhaps feel those who claim they've been bullied just can't handle academic life.  Alternatively they may have views about bullying but no personal experience.  The survey contains both open and closed ended questions and results will be used to improve staff wellbeing and increase good practice within academia.

The Times Higher have run a feature launching the survey this week http://www.thes.co.uk/current_edition/story.aspx?story_id=2022425

We've circulated the link to the survey http://www.thes.co.uk/bullying to unions, equal opportunities groups and other mailing lists and groups, but I was hoping you may be willing to support this survey by forwarding the message at the end of this email to any colleagues you feel might be interested.

If you are able to circulate within your institution or department, or on any mailing lists or similar, please do so.

Many thanks
Petra Boynton

Message for circulation
I'm hoping you'll be able to support the research I'm currently carrying out with the Times Higher about experiences of bullying in academia.

Although other research has been carried out on this issue within universities, much of it has been internal reports, studies of union members, or research that focuses only on people who've reported being  bullied.  This current study is open to any academic or academic-related staff member working in a university within the UK or Northern Ireland.  They may have been bullied or perhaps feel those who claim they've been bullied just can't handle academic life.  Alternatively they may have views about bullying but no personal experience.  The survey contains both open and closed ended questions and results will be used to improve staff wellbeing and increase good practice within academia.

If you are interested in participating, please visit http://www.thes.co.uk/bullying. I'm using a snowball method so please feel free to pass this link on to anyone else you feel may be interested.  If you have further questions feel free to contact me at [log in to unmask]

Petra M Boynton, PhD
Lecturer in Health Services Research
Department Primary Care and Population Sciences, UCL.
Open Learning Unit, Archway Campus
4th Floor, Holborn Union Building, Highgate Hill
London, N19 5LW.

Tel: 0207 288 3325      Mob: 07967 212925