I can only remember using it once, which if I remember involved a long discussion with the haematologist. It may seem like an expensive treatment but if you can improve prognosis by limiting the extent of bleeding, decreasing hospital stay then it may be cost effective. Are their any good RCT’s of its use?

Andy Webster

Registrar in Emergency Medicine

Sir Charles Gairdner Hospital

From: Accident and Emergency Academic List [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Ray
Sent: 04 June 2005 02:54
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Subdural in the head injury patient on warfarin

I think this has been a thread before. The scenario is a recurring theme for me and perhaps for you. We have over 2,000 patients on Warfarin in our Trust.

Our local neurosurgical centre won't accept the patient until the INR is normal..... and the whole process of getting fresh frozen plasma into the patient (often 8 units / 2 litres) and a repeat INR does slow down the "patient journey".

Does anyone have experience of using Prothrombin complex? I include a cut and paste from "Up to Date" below

Ray McGlone

Lancaster A&E

Prothrombin-complex concentratesProthrombin-complex concentrates (PCC), which consist of the vitamin K-dependent coagulation factors (ie, factors II, VII, IX, and X), normalize the INR more rapidly than infusion of FFP or vitamin K alone [9,20-22] and are easily administered. Thrombotic events have complicated infusion of PCC, but this risk is difficult to quantify due to varying preparations, doses, and differing patient populations in available reports [21,23,24].

Use of PCC alone may result in a secondary rise in the INR as the coagulation factors are metabolized if vitamin K is not also given at the time of presentation [9]. (See "Heparin prophylaxis" below and see "Plasma derivatives and recombinant DNA-produced coagulation factors", section on Prothrombin complex concentrates).

The cost for a course of treatment with PCC in a patient with ICH and an INR of 3.0 is estimated to be $1000 to $2000.

There are limited data on the efficacy of PCC in patients with warfarin-associated ICH. Successful treatment of nine such patients using relatively low doses of PCC has been reported [9]. Patients were given 500 or 1000 IU depending upon prolongation of the INR to <4.5 or >4.5, respectively, with additional administration of 500 IU based upon a repeat INR obtained after the initial infusion. The INR was corrected within 10 minutes of completion of the infusion at a median dosage of 12.5 IU/kg. Hematoma enlargement occurred in only two of the nine patients; there were no thromboembolic episodes in this group, which included four patients with prosthetic heart valves.

In this and two other series of patients treated with PCC, there was only one of 10 patients who suffered subsequent ICH enlargement when the INR was corrected to normal [9,11,35]. Worsening occurred 12 to 72 hours later in association with incomplete correction of the INR in four patients with an incompletely corrected INR (eg, INRs of 1.5, 1.9, 2.7, and 3.2), combined with the use of heparin in three. Based upon this anecdotal evidence, it seems prudent to monitor the patient carefully in order to keep the INR in the normal range (ie, INR <1.2) for the initial 72 hours after ICH.

Available data suggest that the use of PCC in warfarin-associated ICH is relatively safe (show table 2). However, in one study, large ischemic strokes occurred on days two, four, and five in 3 of 7 patients treated with PCC (including two of seven with prosthetic heart valves) despite concomitant treatment with low-dose heparin that did not prolong the activated partial thromboplastin time [35]. The dosages and content of the PCC preparation were not reported.

Doctors.net.uk e-mail is protected from spam and viruses

Doctors.net.uk - the network of 114,000 UK doctors