> I have had experience of technicians stating they were not supposed to
> manage patients with intravenous infusions, when transferring patients
> from a MIU to A&E.
>
> Clearly, there will be patients who are suitable for a satellite
> hospital, who have IVIs in progress.
>
> Will they need paramedics?
> Is my experience out of date?
> What is the current practice?

Unfortunately for the original poster, this thread (as often happens) seems
to have taken on a life of its own without answering the original question.
As a general point: this is discussing transfers within the same city. I
don't know about times in Bristol, but if two departments are more than 30
minutes apart, then I would worry about reducing one of them to the status
of minor injuries unit. In deciding which patients to transfer, inability to
tolerate 30 minutes off a drip is something I would generally consider a
relative contraindication to transfer until more stable.

Matt Dunn
Warwick

This email has been scanned for viruses by NAI AVD however we are unable to
accept responsibility for any damage caused by the contents.
The opinions expressed in this email represent the views of the sender, not
South Warwickshire General Hospitals NHS Trust unless explicitly stated.
The information contained in this email may be subject to public disclosure
under the NHS Code of Openness or the Freedom of Information Act 2000.
Unless the information is legally exempt from disclosure, the
confidentiality of this e-mail and your reply cannot be guaranteed.