I agree with the previous comments that web interactions don’t necessarily replace other interactions – any more than telephones or letters. The web makes our communication channels richer.

Of course there’s fraud and spam on the web – but also on the telephone!

It strikes me that there may be something about people’s communication preferences that makes one medium seem more, or less, authentic. There are definite ‘telephone’ people and ‘meetings’ people.

I don’t feel my interactions are any less authentic electronically – or other people’s when I’m on the receiving end. Sometimes they can seem more authentic than face to face.

As an example, I joined an online writers group of 14 people where we share ideas, do assignments and review pieces of writing.

Initial interactions were formal, I think because the other writers are print based and not used to interacting webbily. What’s interested me is how people have become much less formal with each other – and refer to each other now as ‘friends’. They are all very surprised this could happen over the web.

The group leader is suggesting the group continues again after the summer – and everyone is keen. This is not just because they enjoy the interactions, but because it’s helped everyone strengthen their focus on writing i.e. the interactions have a shared purpose.

Ultimately I believe authenticity emerges electronically just as it does face to face – or not if people don’t have much in common.

Di