Hi Alana and digital lifers

I am responding to Alana's query about digital life and its relation to
face-to-face (f2f) life.

We are all intoxicated with this new digital medium of the Internet and
all its various modes of communication so that we believe that a new level
of existence has been created. To those that believe in that it becomes a
reality for them. I for one remember the kind of communication that took
place via the postal service (snail mail for the digerati) when one could
have an interaction via correspondence with a person one never met or
never would meet f2f. Maybe some of the older members of this group like
me had a pen pal from some foreign exotic place that one corresponded
with. Although this was an exciting part of a young person's life I did
not think of myself as leading two forms of existence, a f2f one and a pen
pal one.

For me the digital mode is just another among many channels I
have to interact with the people in this world. For me the most satisfying
aspect of the digital mode is that it extends relationships with people
one encounters at conferences or elsewhere. Another satisfying aspect of
the digital life is to actually encounter email correspondents f2f.

Well Alana you wrote:

"I am interested in hearing others comments on the ways in which digital
life adds to or subtracts from the forms
of life (and Life) mentioned above."

For me the digital enriches my one life. Thanks for posing an interesting
question. I did not have a deep understanding of who you are save that you
posed a fascinating question which enriched my understanding of "so called
digital life" and allowed me to connect to an older form of "postal or
correspondence life"

Here's hoping we run into each other some day f2f - all the best - Bob
Logan

*  Robert K. Logan  -  Assoc. Prof. of Physics   -   University of Toronto *
*  60 St. George Street - Toronto, Ontario, M5S 1A7 - Canada               *
*  e-mail: [log in to unmask]                                       *
*  phone: (416)978-8632 or home 416-652-2570           fax:(416)978-1547   *
*  Author of:    The Sixth Language (2000, 2004 2nd edit.)                 *
*                The Alphabet Effect (1986, 2004 2nd edit) and             *
*                Collaborate to Compete (2004)                             *
*                The Extended Mind: The Origin of Language and Culture (in *
*                press)                                                    *