>and due to the fact that online community is new to me.  Those of
>you with more vast experience, I am interested in learning, does
>digital life ever evolve to the richness of face to face community?
>If so, can you tell stories of the circumstances?

yes; one example is [faces] (http://www.faces-l.net/comm/), an online
community of women in new media; women on this list regularly meet
face-to-face (hence the name faces) at festivals & conferences around
the world. i've met a number of [faces] on my travels, & have ongoing
email relationships on & off list. "putting a face to the name", even
if you don't see that person again for years or ever, does deepen the
connection when you are communicating via email.

through my own cyberformance work, i've met several people after
knowing them first as online avatars. i'd known adriene jenik online
for about a year when i went to stay with her in san diego, but i
didn't recognise her at the airport because she was *tall* - in my
mind, she was short, definitely shorter than me. this was because she
often used a squat avatar, & looks a bit like a friend of mine who is
shorter than me. it was a shock to discover she was tall! ; )

i collaborated online with karla ptacek (in london) for a year & a
half before we met. it was an incredibly easy meeting, as if we had
always known each other, & she was as short as i expected her to be ;
) since then i've stayed with her & her family frequently & feel very
much at home there : ) leena saarinen, who is another member of
avatar body collision, lives in finland & i have yet to meet her,
although we've been working together for four years.

i have some friends who practically never email or call but when i
see them it's great. i have other friends who i never see & it's all
conducted over email - & it's just as great. the cocktail party
analogy is true for some situations, but it's also possible to
develop & maintain strong relationships in cyberspace. for me,
variety is the key.

h : )

helen varley jamieson: creative catalyst
http://www.creative-catalyst.com
http://www.avatarbodycollision.org
http://www.writerfind.com/hjamieson.htm