Trust?
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: James England
  To: [log in to unmask]
  Sent: Friday, May 06, 2005 4:51 PM
  Subject: Re: [VLES] Welcome Back

  It isn't up to Government agency staff, such as those employed by JISC to decide whether lists stay open.

  It was requested in the "General Election Guidance 2005 " issued on April 5th by the Cabinet Office. Section H.10.e includes the following:

  "Interactive functions such as discussion groups which allow the public posting of comment or debate should be suspended."

  We operate several Government websites where apparently innocent discussion forums had to be suspended for the duration of the election. The guidance isn't only there to stop staff posting comment and opinion, but to stop everyone doing so. This is to remove any possible accusation that publicly funded systems are used to propagate campaign information and political opinion during the election.

  James England