Rebecca Barrington wrote:
> So far, WebCT seems to be the
> only one that offers a tool to add any assessment details into the system
> rather than just the quiz results.  This is key to us as both offer the
> ability to build courses according to most learners needs (ie: every course
> can be different according to course / learner).  However, WebCT does give
> more learner control and guidance than Moodle does.  Have to say that so fat,
> WebCT seems to be more learner focused and Moodle a delivery tool (and will
> probably open myself to arguments against this from Moodle fans!).

I don't know WebCT, apart from by reputation, but FWIW, you can add
grades for external items to the Moodle gradebook, using the
'assignment' activity, and I believe there are developments to the
Moodle gradebook in progress which will allow overriding of calculated
grades from quizzes etc.

I'm surprised you see Moodle as more of a delivery tool, since its
social constructionist grounding would suggest the learner focus you're
after, and activities such as Glossaries, Workshops (which allow peer
assessment) and Wikis provide for this, as of course do the ubiquitous
discussion forums.

To return to the original topic of the pose, I'd be surprised if tech
support of Moodle requires much in addition to  that needed for the
underlying technologies of MySQL (or whatever), Apache and PHP, which
you may well have in place already, unless that is you're brave enough
to run with the CVS development builds.
--
Miles Berry
Deputy Head