It isn't up to Government agency staff, such as those employed by JISC to
decide whether lists stay open.

It was requested in the "General Election Guidance 2005 " issued on April
5th by the Cabinet Office. Section H.10.e includes the following:

"Interactive functions such as discussion groups which allow the public
posting of comment or debate should be suspended."

We operate several Government websites where apparently innocent discussion
forums had to be suspended for the duration of the election. The guidance
isn't only there to stop staff posting comment and opinion, but to stop
everyone doing so. This is to remove any possible accusation that publicly
funded systems are used to propagate campaign information and political
opinion during the election.

James England

At 15:49 06/05/2005 +0100, you wrote:
>Colleagues
>
>I set up the new list as a means of keeping a discussion channel open in
>the light of a decision that, in spite of Richard's Explanation, I still
>don't understand. JISCMAIL is an academic discussion forum and for me
>certain privileges and responsibilities go along with that. Anyone can
>either post or not post. Government agency staff could simply have said
>we will not be posting for the duration of the election. To shut down
>the entire channel is indefensible in my view. List "owners" should only
>manage the list on behalf of members. Members are not there to serve the
>purposes of the list owner. The new list has over 180 members which I
>believe is a substantial increase on the older list. I'm not sure what
>that says, but I have offered to merge the Becta list and keep the new
>one, thus ensuring that agency staff are not placed in the difficult
>position in which they found themselves a month ago.
>
>Now its back to problems with VLEs ... And why our SCORM tracking code
>doesn't seem to be getting back to our server ...
>
>Regards
>
>Nigel Peet

James England
Business Development Director - Education
Epic Group plc
52 Old Steine
Brighton BN1 1NH
United Kingdom
Tel: +44 (0)1273 728686
Fax: +44 (0)1273 821567
Company Web: http://www.epic.co.uk
Testing Web: http://www.epi-centre.co.uk

those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of Epic.

Epic accepts no liability for any damage caused by any virus transmitted by
this email and therefore you should check this email and any attachments
for the presence of viruses.