On Thu, 26 May 2005, Patrick Wallace wrote:

> On Thu, 26 May 2005, Rankin, SE (Stephen) wrote:
>
> > Here is a draft page for a new site for the Starlink software.
> >
> > http://dev.starlink.ac.uk/ussc/fsfs/
> >
> > Any useful links to other Astro software would be good.
>
> I've given Steve a list of wording changes, relatively uncontroversial.
>
> I don't like the title, which is too broad and altogether too cheerful
> under the circumstances.  I've suggested calling it "The Starlink Legacy".

I agree with this comment.  Along similar lines I think that the
page should restrict itself to software which is the Starlink
legacy rather than having links to places like IRAF and HEASARC.
Links to reasonably close 'friends and relations' such as
JAC and eStar may make sense, but I'd suggest in a less prominent
position than at present.  A site advertising astro software may
be worthwhile (though no doubt other people are doing it elsewhere),
but I don't think it should be confused with the site for the
Starlink ex-project.

If the programmers' home pages are listed (and personally I've got
no objection) they should be listed under a heading like
"Web pages of some former Starlink programmers" or similar,
otherwise it's not clear what they are doing there.

"PPARC have kindly allowed a small amount of money to maintain this site..."
- I can't tell if this is gratitude, politics or bitter sarcasm?

Mark

--
Mark Taylor    Starlink Programmer     Physics,  Bristol University, UK
[log in to unmask] +44-117-928-8776 http://www.star.bris.ac.uk/~mbt/