From: "David Wilson-Okamura" <[log in to unmask]>
To: <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Monday, May 02, 2005 7:20 AM
Subject: Spenser at Kalamazoo

1. If anyone is driving back to or through Chicago on Sunday after the
10:30 session, please email me PRIVATELY at [log in to unmask] I've got a
ride to Kalamazoo, but am still looking for a ride back. I will gladly
pay for our gas and provide diverting conversation en route.

2. Some Spenser events to look forward to:

Friday 10 am
Session 233 Representations of Emotion in the Early Modern Period
Spenser, Wolfram, and the Reformation of Despair
Susannah Brietz Monta, Louisiana State Univ.
(Sangren 2301)

Friday 10 am
Session 235 Spenser's Faerie Queene
Spenser and the Art of Household Management: Romance Economics
Faerie Queene
Erica L. Rude, Purdue Univ.
She’s Taen Awa the Boniest Knight”: Popular Faerie Tradition and
Spenser’s Dangerous Faerie Queene
Jean N. Goodrich, Univ. of Arizona
"Both Kindes in One": Spenser’s Marriage of the Medway and the Thames
Daniel T. Lochman, Texas State Univ.
Political Implications of Spenser’s Legend of Temperance
Amy Hope Dudley Sweitzer, Univ. of North Carolina–Chapel Hill
(Sangren 2303)

Friday 1:30
Session 259 Spenserian Chastity and Marriage: Dewly, Maidly, Deeply
Sponsor: Spenser at Kalamazoo
Opening Remarks: William A. Oram, Smith College
Casting Pearls in “Dew Time”: Epithalamion and The FQ
Roger W. Rouland, Univ. of Texas–Austin
Amoret’s “Perfect Hole”: A Source for Faerie Queene Has Not Occurred to You
Lauren Silberman, Baruch College, CUNY
“Who Can Loue the Worker of Her Smart?”: The Faerie Queene
Melissa Sanchez, San Francisco State Univ.
Respondent: Thomas P. Roche Jr., Princeton Univ.
(Valley I: 107)

Friday 3:30
Session 322 Sound, Memory, and Silence in Edmund Spenser
Sponsor: Spenser at Kalamazoo
Savagery, Civility, and Silence in Spenser: The Faerie Queene, Book VI,
and A View
Jane Grogan, Pennsylvania State Univ.
Spenserian Alliteration
Paul Hecht, Wake Forest Univ.
“Souenaunce” and Poetic Knowledge in The Faerie Queene, Book II
Anne Sussman, Univ. of Virginia
Respondent: Andrew Escobedo, Ohio Univ.
(Valley I: 107)

-------------------------------------

Friday evening at 9 pm
Spenser at Kalamazoo Business Meeting
The main subject of business this year is READING SPENSER AND SIDNEY
ALOUD. No tutorials or demonstrations: we shall just go around the room
reading one stanza at a time until we finish a canto, of which I shall
bring photocopies. We shall then change our notes to lyrical and read
from Sidney; again, photocopies will be provided.
(Fetzer 1055)

-------------------------------------

Saturday evening at 8:30 pm
International Porlock Society
(Fetzer 1055)

-------------------------------------

Sunday 10:30
Session 622 Canonical Spenser? Supplementation, Illustration, and Annotation
Sponsor: Spenser at Kalamazoo
Presider: Mark D. Stephenson, Univ. of Western Ontario
A New Spenserian Poem: M. L.'s Envies Scourge
Richard Peterson, Univ. of Connecticut
Improving Reception: Annotative Practice and The Faerie Queene
Holly A. Crocker, Univ. of Cincinnati
Louis du Guernier’s Illustrations for the John Hughes Edition of The
Faerie Queene (1715)
Rachel Hile Bassett, Univ. of Kansas
Respondent: Joseph Lowenstein, Washington Univ. in St. Louis
Closing Remarks: William A. Oram, Smith College

Dr. David Wilson-Okamura    http://virgil.org          [log in to unmask]
English Department          Virgil reception, discussion, documents, &c
East Carolina University    Sparsa et neglecta coegi. -- Claude Fauchet