Dear Rob

I've never worked on ores of this composition, but some of our
Glamorgan ores have a slightly elevated Ba content (from barite).
This is nowhere near as high as yours, but gets up towards 1% BaO
in the bloomery slags (and in blast furnace slags too - but thats not
exactly pertinent).

In general, bloomeries seem remarkably forgiving/adaptable. I
wouldn't have expected the As or Zn to be a particular problem, as
most would get burnt off in the stack (except as a problem for the
health of the smelters maybe). I understand that the thermal
decomposition of barite in air occurs at 1580C and in some of the
Glamorgan slags (Roman to Medieval, IA slags not analysed yet) I
seem to remember that I *thought* that the barite was being
inherited by the slag (it wasn't something I looked at in detail - I
could go back to the data to check, if its significant though). I guess
a lot of barite passing through the system in this way might cause a
problem. This is speculation however - I really don't know about the
behaviour of barite in contact with an iron silicate melt.

I would get the archaeologists to provide analyses of the slags from
the bloomery!

Tim

--
Dr Tim Young